Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bragging Rights





I don't know if I'm going to jinx myself for saying this or not but I have awesome kids! I am so amazed by each of them every day for completely different reasons.

Last week Alyssa tried out for the Riverton High School talent competition and was one of 9 finalists chosen. The program, which was held last night was interesting to say the least. There were all kinds of acts and each was VERY talented, and there were four judges. As each contestant got ready to perform they were called out on stage and had to sit on a couch and be interviewed by the host (think high school aged Conan Obrien, except lots more awkward) It was a little bit lame, but funny and the kids liked it. There were singers, dancers, pianists, video makers and then, of course a harpist.

This past few months Alyssa has made a lot of progress on the harp. She is nearing the end of her junior year and is starting to think about college and is taking it more seriously. She has a wonderful new harp teacher who swears to me that Alyssa will be "college audition ready" by mid summer. I'm starting to believe her, but that's mostly because of the change I've seen in Alyssa. She practices for an hour and a half every day, and will be practicing more when summer comes. Our next step is to get her a pedal harp, which we will be doing very soon. They cost around the same as a new car. When you take college scholarships into consideration the investment is definitely worth it!

I was so nervous last night! It took me back to watching my brothers run at state cross country races! Alyssa looked beautiful though. Chelsea did her hair, and she wore the dress she got for 9th grade promotion, which is gorgeous on her! She didn't seem all that nervous, which is pretty incredible to me.

When it was Alyssa's turn, she came out to the couch and the "host" asked her a question about how long she had been playing. She gave a very confident answer and then when she sat at her harp a weird hush fell over the previously rowdy audience. She played very well, and the audience cheered. Lots of the other acts had been more contemporary, such as Beyonce songs, and it is strange how the harp quiets and calms. The "host" was even more awkward and speechless after, but did mutter something about it being "heavenly". I liked that.

When they handed out the awards Alyssa took second place! She won a plaque, and a small amount of money. The boy who took first is a pianist. I think a brilliant concert pianist. As soon as he played I knew he would win, and he deserved first place. I appreciated that even though it was a high school competition the judges recognized talent over what is popular.

I know in the future I will have lots of things to brag about regarding my other three kids, but last night was Alyssa's night, and I couldn't have been more proud.

No comments: