Wednesday, May 28, 2008

School is coming to a close, summer is here.

It seems that our blog has been a bit neglected lately. No worries, I already had my ice cream fix for the night, so I am ready to write. School is fast coming to an end for the year, and the kids (meaning children, not young goats) are quite excited about it. Christian went with Grandpa Rigby last night to a BEES minor league baseball game, and loved it. He came home with a silver baseball. Kennedy is studying math at Sylvan. That's costly, but for the first time ever, she is liking math and accelerating at it. I good investment, I believe. Alyssa got her hair chopped off today. I really like her haircut, but it makes her look old enough to pass as a legal adult, so my feelings on her haircut and new style are mixed. I will be posting a photograph. Chelsea is getting ready to head off on her tour with her singing and dancing group. She has to share a suitcase with one of her classmates, since Delta Airlines now only allows a single checked suitcase, as the students also have to "check" a piece of sound equipment for the trip (shame on the airlines, especially United, with its no-bag without extra cash policy). I am sure she will like Seattle. I know I would.

We are also getting ready for our trip to SoCal and Disney Land parks, where we plan on tromping around from ride to ride until we get sick, or until we have spent three days straight at the parks. Crazy? Yes, without a doubt. The ride I most look forward to is the airplane ride; especially the take off (I don't care much for the landing) I mostly want to go to the beach. I love the ocean, and really love to see when really big waves come thundering into the shore.

Last week, Christian, Kennedy and I went camping. It was fun. The kids liked the hiking around, and liked seeing how many lizards the could see. I lost track of how many lizards I saw. (FYI: the word for lizard in Spanish is lagartija. This is also the work in Mexico for push-ups. If you have ever watched a lizard, you will see it doing push-ups) We also hid a geocache on top of a hill, which I need to get listed before I forget about it. We found some old mines: I would sure like to know what it was they used to mine out of them thar hills. We were at Five Mile Pass, which is either in West Utah county or East Tooele County, amongst a bunch of off-road vehicles, but we didn't mind them. We also were able to leave the hills a little bit cleaner from trash than what we found them. That was a good lesson for the young ones. Most of the things we picked up where beer cans and beer bottles. I am not sure why, but soda pop drinkers almost never leave their cans, whereas beer drinkers seem to leave their cans and bottles all over the place. Obviously there is correlation (or maybe a coorelation) with alcohol, but I am not sure of the actual cause and effect. Is it that people who sit in the juniper trees drinking beer get stupid because of the alcohol and then leave their garbage? Or is it that stupid people who always leave their garbage about, like to go sit amongst the juniper trees to drink their beer? Anyway, we helped what we could in cleaning up some of the cans, hopefully making the place better than before we where there.

I guess I really got off on a tangent there. I am going to finish up and go read myself to sleep. I am currently re-reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" Dumas is definitely a romantic, but I like his writings (I have also read many of the d'Artagnan
adventures (The Three Musketeers, et al.) which make history much more colorful that it really was). If you ever read this book, please make sure it says "unabridged." The first time I read it, I starting reading the unabridged version, then lost it, so I bought a new book. It did not say "abridged" but after I read it, I realized that it was. It simply didn't make much sense, leaving many unanswered questions. The abridged version was published by Scholastic, and they abridged it by simply cutting out whole chapters and sections. After I discovered the deceit, I wrote a scathing letter to Scholastic, and they offered to refund me my money. Any way, I highly recommend the book. It is much different from the latest movie under the same name, but he movie, nevertheless, is also on my recommended movie list.

Ok, and going to publish this now, typos and all.

No comments: