Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween is Here (and thankfully almost gone)


Alyssa and Eden. The 1980's live on.


Chelsea and Christie, the nerd and the princess


Jessica (ninja) Christian (dementor) Justin (Iron Man) and Paigie (bumble bee) ready to go out trick-or-treating


I have to admit that I enjoy taking the little ones out trick-or-treating. Kennedy Paige, dressed up as a bumble bee, was the oldest in the group this year. She went out with Christian, and their two younger cousins, Jessica and Justin. Their mom and I were always close behind.

This year we are in a new neighborhood, and I wasn't sure what to expect as far as how many trick-or-treaters would stop by, so I bought about $50 worth of "fun size" sweets. I still have at least $35 in candy left over. Had I been the person giving out the candy, I would have doubled or tripled up on the servings, but I was out wandering in the cold, dark streets behind the four children, which is where I would rather be since I have been told that I am not allowed to scare the little kids as the come up to the door and ask for candy. As we went from house to house (which took a long time, as the yards are larger in this neighborhood than in our old neighborhood, and as there are many vacant houses) I noted a couple funny things. First was way the Paige would always say "trick or treat." You may be asking what is funny about that. Well, writing it down without explanation loses something. Most people, including myself, say "tricker-treat" but not Paigie. At every door she came to, she was most careful to always clearly enunciate every word: "Trick OR treat." Maybe she was really expecting a trick at at least a few of the doors. The other funny things was Jessica. She loves pets, and every time she would be at a door where someone had a dog, she would make little cooing sounds at the dogs, similar to the way most other people coo at a baby.

Chelsea had a friend over, and did a little bit of trick-or-treating. Alyssa had a bunch of friends over. In fact, it seemed that they were still showing up half-hour before the party started to wind down. Unfortunately I don't know most of them, but they seem like pretty good kids.

No comments: