Tuesday, October 20, 2009


October 20, 2009

PHOTO: TERRA COTTA CARLOS

Another busy day today. But first, lets get back to where I left off. After we got to Xi’an Airport, we drove from the airport, to the city, which was actually several miles away. We arrived at a hotel and we all just were in awe at the hotel. I mean, we had been in a 2 star, dumpy hotel in Shanghai and then arrived at this!! We let me explain. We stepped inside, and saw a large front desk, with a concierge that was offering to take bags to our room. We went up to the room, and stepped inside and WOW... first thing we noticed is that it didn’t stink. That was a plus. But then, two full sized beds, flat screen TV, plush robes in the closet, internet service that actually worked, and the beds were even soft. Of course, I still woke up at least one time, as I had also done the night before, dreaming that the LED light on the smoke detector or on the cell phone charger were really spy cameras. But enough about my schizophrenic dreams. And did I mention that the beds were soft? The pity is that we are only staying two nights, and during the days we will be gone from sun up until long after the sun goes down. And did I mention that the beds are soft? After checking in, we went into the walled portion of the city for a dumpling dinner. It was outstanding, save for the two varieties of dumplings that had some type of spice in it that just was so hot that it was unpleasant, and also made your tongue go tingly. It was different.

Well, now what? We got up in the morning to a wonderful buffet style breakfast at the hotel, which as compared in all ways to the other hotel, far exceeded my expectations. It was similar in offerings, but there was so much more! After a quick breakfast, we left the hotel at 7:30. We stopped at the official government sanctioned souvenir shop, where they make the only officially licensed terra cotta warrior souvenirs, and sell a bunch of other items. For only $2,000 US, I could buy a full size terra cotta soldier and have it shipped home. I was tempted, thinking how nice it would look in the front room, but decided that Rochelle might not appreciate it as much as I. She wants couches in there. Weird. I guess its just that Mars/Venus thing. I then not only did not buy the life size warrior, but didn’t buy anything at, except for some overpriced post cards. After that, we went on to see the Terra Cotta Warriors, the Eighth Wonder of the World. Stay tuned for more to come about that.

No comments: