Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Birthday Week - Big 40

Since before we were married, Rochelle has celebrated her birthday the entire week prior to her birthday, calling it her birthday week. One day a year is just not enough for her. Well, here I sit on my birthday week. But not just any birthday week, but my 40th birthday week. I am not sure how I feel about that. Different people feel different ways on their 40th birthday, and I just don't know which category I should put myself into this week. Well, since it is my birthday week, maybe I will try a different emotion for each day of the week.

Tuesday: I wonder if my body will start falling apart, like many others I know, when they hit 40.
Wednesday: Hey, Greg Peterson is competing in an Ironman triathlon next week, and he is five years older than I am, so 40 can't be too bad.
Thursday: An MRI or CT Scan? I just can't decide.
Friday: They say 40 is the new 30. Well, I don't believe that but maybe something like, "My fortieth birthday can be the first day of the best of my life" (I find that more appealing that the "rest" of my life)
Saturday: Who can think about birthdays, I have sprinkler lines to put in and trick-or-treat candy to hand out.
Sunday: Mentally blocking that day out. I think a few people are coming over to remind me of my age. I think I have some Church reports that need to be done.
Monday: Hey, I am forty years old today, so I think it's high time I decided for myself, without asking anyone's permission, that I am going fishing!

I guess no matter what I think of it, I will be completing my 40th year within the week. It makes me feel a little bit old, but also a little bit wise, along with the hope that I have not yet come to the half way point. There's just so much more to do.

No comments: